Strategy ~ Leadership ~ Technology
I am an accomplished Technology Leader with more than 20 years’ experience leading cross-functional teams. My experience includes managing large geographically dispersed teams and projects covering technology, marketing, software development and social media. I have held profit and loss (P&L) responsibilities up to $20 million and managed teams of up to 60 people located domestically and internationally.
Other experiences and skills include:
Independent Consultant March 2010 – Present
Currently providing technology consulting services to small and medium sized businesses in the Dallas / Fort Worth area. Focus is on technology selection, assessment and implementation consulting services in the marketing and digital space.
- Sample projects:
- Developed marketing strategy, web strategy and project management for Dallas consulting company. Efforts have led to more than a 200% increase in traffic to their website due to Search Engine Optimization and Information Architecture changes. Increased traffic has led to a 75% increase in new projects, which has led to increased revenue.
- Developed new website for a local church to migrate from an outdated custom solution to a WordPress driven website. Developed strategy and led the design/development team. Project involved strategy, design, architecture and custom development and included customization & integration with third party tools to allow membership, private messaging areas and a church social network.
Silicon Valley Group March 2010 – Present
Director – Central Region
- Rejoined this previous employer to assist with business development, marketing and project management efforts for technology consulting efforts.
- Provide intellectual property consulting services to client around the USA. Clients include patent attorneys and organizations engaged in intellectual property disputes
- Responsible for all clients and projects in the central region of the US. In this role, I act as the interface between the company and clients.
- Responsible for business development efforts for region.
- Projects within the central region are responsible for approximately 40% of revenue for the company.
BiblioREF January 2008 to August 2010
Founder & CTO
- BiblioRef (http://biblioref.com) is a social network for academic researchers. I founded the company, created the business plan and strategy. Oversaw development, design and all technology efforts.
- Social network grew quickly to over 10,000 users.
- Sold the business to an investor in August 2010.
Boy Scouts of America August 2007 – March 2010
Project Manager & Web Team Lead
- Responsible for the Boy Scouts of America’s digital strategy for internal and external communications and marketing. Led the team developing digital strategy for web, social media and enterprise communications.
- Led a team of six designers and developers responsible for all BSA website design and functionality. Grew team from 1 person to six over the course of a year, which ultimately saved the BSA approximately $1million in total project costs that would have gone to outside vendors.
- Led Digital Strategy development for future development to ensure that BSA’s digital assets were positioned to take advantage of social media, video, user generated content and search engine optimization. Worked with internal customers and vendors to develop digital strategy, technology roadmaps and budgets for future projects.
- Managed vendor relationships with for all BSA marketing technology vendors. Efforts were responsible for annual cost savings of over $1 million by optimizing partnerships and vendor contracts while maintaining the necessary support and project deliverables from our vendors.
- Developed and led initial project for the BSA’s Social Media strategy. Responsible for starting Twitter, Facebook and YouTube initiatives as well as internal BSA Social Network platform for volunteers, employees and scouts.
- Sample projects:
- Worked with members of the Marketing group to implement the 2009 BSA Brand overhaul project across all digital platforms. Project led to a rebranding of over 50 BSA websites using Brand guidelines to ensure consistency and accuracy.
- Led project team responsible for development and implementation of the Sitecore Enterprise Content Management System (CMS) to manage over 300 websites. Project included working with BSA local councils across the US to develop website standards and train their users on web content and technology to allow them to manage their own website.
- Led usability study to determine how usable BSA websites were. Project led to a complete overhaul of information architecture for BSA websites.
- Led BSA internal Implementation team responsible implementing the Sitecore Enterprise Content Management System. Managed migration of over 40 websites from flat-file HTML to Sitecore managed websites. Responsible for all aspects of migration including Design, Development, Data conversion and Vendor Management.
- Led BSA internal team to implement an internal / private Social Network for employees, volunteers and scouts. Responsible for all aspects of the project including strategy, implementation, custom development and phased rollout to Beta testers and ultimately all users.
Capgemini (consultant) May 2007 – August 2007
- Worked closely with sales team on multiple client proposals worth approximately $200 million.
- Assisted with creation of a Project Management Office (PMO) within the Information Technology (IT) Outsourcing group. Developed methodologies, processes, statement of work and other project templates to be used with all new client projects
- Developed Project Portfolio Management processes. This new process was responsible for selecting projects that brought the most value to the organization and are on track to bring approximately $5 million in additional revenue to the company.
- Developed on-boarding processes for new employees. This process included training new employee on processes and technologies used in the organization.
- Developed sales support processes to ensure all new sales initiatives received the appropriate level of focus and staffing.
Digit Technologies (consultant) March 2007 – May 2007
- Responsible for developing professional services processes and methodologies for implementation of litigation support software and hardware.
- Responsible for finalizing and delivering contract worth $3 million within thirty days of starting with the company.
- Created Project Management documentation and standards for use in all projects.
- Responsible for Information Technology Strategy for all North American Operations.
- Managed implementation and development of enterprise web based software that provided electronic indexing, search, retrieval and storage systems for litigation departments of large corporations and law firms.
- Worked closely with development team to ensure client feedback implemented in product.
- Managed client relationships to ensure satisfaction with software and services.
Silicon Valley Group, Richardson, TX Feb 2005- March 2007
Director – Engineering Technology
- Provide expert witness services to intellectual property attorneys around the country
- Placed expert witnesses as consultants for intellectual property and patent infringement litigation cases.
- Performed Business Development activities to drive revenue
Brown Consulting Group, Dallas, TX Sept 2004- Feb 2005
- Led project team responsible for divestiture of approximately $50 million in network equipment, cellular sites and other equipment during consulting engagement to top-tier wireless telecom companies during merger activities.
- Led project responsible for saving approximately $50K per year in IT spending by creating and managing the development of a mobile solution to allow field personnel to access corporate computer network via wireless real time communication.
- Provided consulting and project management services on $10 million consulting engagement for the design of a third generation (3G) wireless system for a top-tier wireless carrier.
- Responsible for $500K development project that provided web based reporting platform to interface with legacy telecommunications software.
Marconi Wireless (MSI), Richardson, TX July 1999- Sept 2004
Director of Technical Services (2002 – 2004)
- Negotiated service contracts (SLA’s) with clients and maintained P&L responsibility for approximately $10 million in sales and services.
- Responsible for bringing approximately $3 million in new business via business development and consultative sales with existing clients.
- Provided strategic direction and leadership for project management, technical support, training and implementation operations for company software products.
- Provided Product Management leadership for new and existing products.
- Led a team of 30 training and technical professionals across North and South America. The team was responsible for all training, training development, technology implementations, support and project management for company software products. This team was responsible for training over 3000 software users using face-to-face training methods and e-Learning methods.
- Improved service metrics by 20% by developing and implementing policies and procedures to improve service levels, create cost-effective operations and more efficient project management practices.
- Responsible for managing the technical support team for all clients in North America.
- Responsible for Profit & Loss (P&L) for the technical support group. Budget consisted of approximately $1 million per year.
- Team responsible for pre-sales and post-sales support of software and consulting services.
- Implemented processes to improve customer service ability and turn around time.
- Managed testing of new software products through the entire development lifecycle.
Manager, Technical Support (2000 to 2002)
Experience Prior to 2000 Available Upon Request
Dakota State University, Madison, SD
Doctor of Science (D.Sc.), Information Systems, 2012 (in process)
Research areas – Knowledge Management, Social Networks, Data Mining
University of Texas at Dallas, Richardson, TX
Master of Business Administration (MBA), Specialization in MIS and Strategy, 2006
Research (in lieu of Thesis) – Strategic Project Management as a Competitive Advantage
Oklahoma State University, Stillwater, OK
Master of Science in Electrical Engineering (MSEE) – Telecom & Information Systems, 1998
Research (in lieu of Thesis) – A comparison of CDMA and TDMA capacities
Southwestern Oklahoma State University, Weatherford, OK
Bachelor of Science in Engineering Physics, 1995
- Blog: Technology, Strategy, People & Projects – http://ericbrown.com
- “Will Twitter Make You a Better Investor? A Look at Sentiment, User Reputation and Their Effect on the Stock
Market” (2012). SAIS 2012 Proceedings. Paper 7. http://aisel.aisnet.org/sais2012/7/
- The FutureProof CIO, Cutter IT Journal – January 2010 – http://www.cutter.com/offers/cioelex.html
- Storytelling for Knowledge Management – Dakota State University Knowledge Management Symposium – April 2009
- Project Management and the Stockholm Syndrome – University of Texas at Dallas 2nd Annual Project Management Symposium, 2008.
- Agile Project Management & Product Strategy: A case study – Agile Alliance – 2007
- Strategic Project Management as a Competitive Advantage. University of Texas at Dallas, 2006.
- Wireless Telecommunications – Past, Present & Future. University of Texas at Dallas, 2006.
- Implementing a High Performance Work System (HPWS). University of Texas at Dallas, 2006
- The Strategic use of Human Resources. University of Texas at Dallas, 2005.
PROFESSIONAL LICENSES AND AFFILIATIONS
Member, Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
Member, Project Management Institute (PMI)
- Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification (PMP #443899)
- Member – PMI Standard for Portfolio Management Second Edition Revision Team
- Member – PMI Information Technology (IT) & Telecommunications Special Interest Group
- Reviewer for Information Technology (IT) & Telecommunications Special Interest Group
Six Sigma Green Belt Certified